The Manager of Creative Music and Licensing Strategy will work with SVP and VP to manage the use of music within Viacom content from a creative and licensing Point of View, working closely with Production, Development, Brand Creative, Digital, Social, MML and Business Affairs.
The ideal candidate will have strong creative music supervision skills and a comprehensive knowledge of music, its history, genres, and styles, and must be up to date with current music. This position reports to the VP Music and Media Licensing.
- Liaise between Network execs and external Music Supervisors to execute on the Networks vision for the sound of the shows. Pitch music for projects. Liaise between the Music Department and Production on 360 initiatives (eg; deals with emerging artists for theme songs). Pitch Music Supervisors and Composer ideas for third party productions. Oversee rescoring as needed.
- Music Supervise Viacom content including pilots, series and brand campaigns.
- Attend or oversee spotting sessions with show music supervisors. Review Music Supervisors source music grids, and keep Network informed and updated about deviations from allocated budgets and of any potential rights issues.
- Organize on-camera music needs involving musicians and singers. Oversee music arrangement, pre-recordings, music clearances. Oversee rates, line up, and invoicing for musicians, coordinate engineer and studio availability with production, and handle/oversee hiring of musicians. Check synchronization issues during on camera performances. Ensure that the Sound Team has the pre-record in the correct format.
- Collaborate with Licensing Team VPs and Production teams in the preparation of music budgets. Attend greenlight and music meetings with Production and Development teams. Work with SVP and VP to develop strategies, evaluate rights and implement procedures to work within production budgets.
- Manage Featured Placements – work with record labels and publishers and the internal Production Operations teams to drive the process from start to finish including oversight and management of the promotion of featured placements on air, on digital and across social, artist showcases and create new promotional opportunities across brands.
- Ensure that music is cleared, and rights needed are secured by working with the licensing team when clearing music. Communicate Viacom music policy to producers. Work in tandem with the Music Strategy Group when making deals with labels and publishers.
- Work with composers to create original music for projects. Partner with VP and SVP and Music and Media Licensing team to negotiate deals for theme songs and Composers; mediating between Production teams and Composers for publishing, registration, PRO and physical music delivery.
- Ensure that Productions execute on Network music cue sheet requirements, and other music related deliverables, ensuring that accurate cue sheets are delivered on time.
- Support SVP on Soundtrack and Digital release initiatives.
- Support the Viacom Music Library team on music creation and internal marketing and pitching.