The Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs for Viacom Media Networks will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for this group in either Los Angeles or New York, on primarily BET Networks- branded programming, with a focus on unscripted development and production. This person is expected to be an operational leader on high-level deals and projects and handle a heavy volume of development and production matters relating to both “in-house” and third party productions.
The Group’s business and legal affairs department handles development and production work for unscripted programming, news programming, tent-poles and works closely with the networks’ Development and Production Management teams as well as many other departments (including Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation and Accounting/Finance).
- Primary duties will include structuring, drafting and negotiating complex development and production agreements (e.g., rights acquisition, producer, writer, production services, and talent agreements, format licenses, venue and location releases, etc.)
- Performing and/or supervising day-to-day legal production work for presentations, pilots, specials and series, and advising and consulting with clients and outside production companies regarding production-related legal matters (including guild, union and other employment law issues)
- Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management
- Participating in and contributing to strategic deal discussions and researching relevant business and legal issues; providing complex risk assessment for production-related matters; advising and communicating with various other departments within Viacom Media Networks regarding exploitation of original programming across all media platforms
- Counseling the client groups on a wide variety of other legal matters, including guild/union and labor issues, intellectual property rights, off-channel marketing and promotions, insurance, product integrations, online and music issues
- Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related duties