Viacom has a clear vision: to be the premier destination where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best entertainment to our global audiences, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. Through television, film, digital content, live events, merchandise, studio production and more, we connect with billions of people in nearly every country in the world. At Viacom, you will have the opportunity to develop your professional career at the home of iconic brands like BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount and others.
The VP of Viacom Content SWE will be responsible for coordinating and driving the engineering for content management. These services extend to the ingestion and acquisition of new content from Viacom’s production teams as well as third parties; content publishing, page layout and editorialization for Viacom owned and operated sites and apps; digital asset management for the Viacom content catalog. This person will develop a team of software engineers responsible for content supply chain services including content orchestration, data and core content services.
You will also work closely with product and program managers to determine the direction engineering must take in order that the highest quality solutions are architected to deliver the greatest value to the organization. They should also be able to anticipate future needs of the business and ensure that solutions cater for and scale to them, as well as satisfying the ongoing demands of the in-place systems so that current operations continue to function at the highest level.
In addition, you are responsible for providing oversight of the engineering strategies employed by technical leads, validating their approaches, coordinating efforts and eliminating redundancy. To accomplish this, you must have a keen understanding of engineering standard methodologies, content driven workflows and how and when to best use available technologies (such as the cloud).
- Possesses the ability to quickly gain a broad understanding of current capabilities and limitations of existing systems.
- An understanding of documentation design languages including but not limited to UML, TOGAF and Archimate.
- Familiarity with data persistence both practically and conceptually – for example search indexes, RDBMS, hierarchical, knowledge graph, controlled vocabularies.
- Demonstrates confidence in discussing technical concerns with lead engineers, software architects and enterprise architects.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry and technology trends and is able to apply that knowledge to existing content management processes.
- The ability to demonstrate a good understanding business requirements and processes to be able to design and articulate effective solutions.
- Able to think at both the micro and macro level when discussing core system functions (either microservice or monolithic based) as well as understand and influence each piece of the larger content supply chain strategy.
- The ability to write code (language agnostic) to prove concepts and interactions would be helpful.
- Makes use of metrics in order to drive effective design decisions.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead several teams of work stream engineers accountable for delivering solutions across the content platform products - including the Viacom Enterprise Content Management system and Global Asset Management teams.
- Collaborate and liaise with the enterprise architecture team and global peers as well as other engineering teams to support the goals of the product team
- Provide and present cohesive, sustainable engineering roadmaps across core services to the content platform leadership
- Work to the product owners to influence the product backlogs/roadmaps within the content platform
- Produce metric/data driven analysis of engineering functions to demonstrate the value of the engineering approaches
- Define content and information architecture as it relates to key systems
- Enforce content governance guidelines to support key business objectives
- Can quickly grasp key industry standards (such as EIDR) and apply them to initiatives.
- Understand the needs of the business and translate, prioritize and help execute on their requirements
- Engage with engineers, data scientists and architects to make sure build decisions and data modeling is commensurate with the broader goal of those groups.
- Work with vendors where appropriate to ensure any outside development and decisions are in line and compatible with the goals of the content architecture.
- Build a positive relationship with the Product team to ensure short, medium, and long-term product roadmaps take the content architecture into consideration.
- Conduct extensive content inventories and content audits of properties; synthesize findings into simplified insights and actionable next steps.
- Develop and implement content messaging strategies, metadata schema, taxonomies, and advanced information architecture.
- Define important metrics to help measure the success of initiatives.
- Detail current state and future approaches effectively.
- Experience working in agile/scrum/sprint driven environments a benefit.