SVP, SCRIPTED FOR BET NETWORKS │ LOS ANGELES, (CA)
BET Networks seeks an experienced development executive to join the Original Programming team as Senior Vice President, Scripted. The SVP, Scripted will oversee scripted programming development for the West Coast office of BET and Centric.
The SVP, Scripted will be based in Los Angeles and report to the SVP, Head of Original Programming.
The SVP, Scripted will lead the West Coast based development function for all original scripted programming at BET Networks The Senior Vice President, Scripted Development will play an important role in the continued growth of scripted programming at BET Networks Group. This position will have responsibility in all aspects of development.
Specifically, the SVP, Scripted will be responsible to:
• Oversee a slate of scripted series
• Solicit appropriate programming and evaluate new submissions
• Execute original programming to include taking pitches overseeing development
• Overseeing production of shows
• Build and manage a development team as BET continues to grow its original programming efforts, and create and maintain a database of writers and directors
• Maintain strong relationships with the creative community – agents, writers, producers, talent, etc.
• Primary liaison between the scripted department and all other network departments including Marketing, Publicity, Casting, Production, Digital, Scheduling and Business and Legal Affairs
• Develop scripted content to ensure there is a healthy pipeline of fresh and relevant programs.
• Develop shows that deliver ratings with our core audience and beyond.
• Work closely with the SVP Head of Original Programming to ensure the vision of all BET original programming is being realized through the development of quality scripted shows and series.
• Attend relevant industry events in television and entertainment content such as film festivals, NATPE and Realscreen Summit, and travel as needed.
• Present scripted programming slate internally and selling in show concepts.
• Work closely with other departments, such as Ad Sales, Marketing and Digital, to ensure all programming aligns with network revenue and marketing objectives.
• Maintain constant awareness of industry trends and keeping up to date on all content related trends and information.
• Work closely with colleagues to jointly meet company-wide goals.
ABOUT BET NETWORKS
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA) (NYSE: VIA.B), is the nation's leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks - BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
BET NETWORKS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – EOE
The SVP, Scripted must have experience in scripted programming development. S/he must have demonstrated success in developing scripted shows that produce ratings. S/he must also have extensive contacts within the creative community.
In addition, we seek the following:
• At least 10 years experience in scripted development, and a proven track record of fostering, building and maintaining relationships with key external and internal clients, including agencies and studios.
• The ability to successfully translate vision into strategy and turn that strategy into reality by developing a pipeline of shows.
• Must have a wide working knowledge of writers, both drama and comedy writers, and be able to compile lists and fill open writing assignments
• Must be able to independently supervise the development of a project from treatment to script phase
• Must be able to oversee a production of a pilot and/or show
• Strong writing skills; must be proficient at writing network notes on scripts and cuts
• Proven leadership ability to inspire and manage a solid development team and process.
• The ability to appreciate different points of view, yet wholeheartedly embrace the culture of BET Networks.
• A high integrity level and a passion for, and caring about, the quality of programming that airs on the network.
• Experience with building and working as part of a cohesive team.
• Flexibility and the ability to perform effectively under stress and meet deadlines.
• A high energy level and the ability to manage through a period of change and growth.
• The ability to work at the strategic level as well as be involved in day-to-day activities.
• The ability to prioritize.
• Team building skills that develop people to their fullest potential.
• Excellent communications and relationship skills.
• Must have strong relationships at agencies and studios
• Must be motivated, organized, and a self-starter
A bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired or equivalent work experience.