Management and oversight of cross-disciplinary broadcast engineering team specializing in customer-facing solutions for content delivery, transformation and distribution applications.
- Demonstrates broad experience in the design, build, and commissioning of technical systems including linear broadcast playout, live streaming, content workflow management, content ingest, storage, transformation, IP networks including multicast, WAN video distribution, file delivery and acceleration, with the ability to identify and leverage technical experts in different specialized fields.
- Demonstrates knowledge in baseband HD/SD video, transport stream distribution, video/audio encoding, in-band and out-of-band metdata payloads, OTT streaming architectures and technologies, advanced IP networking including multicast and video contribution/distribution.
- Familiar with Agile project management techniques, capable of managing an Agile team to tight timelines
- Familiar with global file delivery/acceleration products in a media enterprise environment
- Familiar with industry developments in key technical areas of standardization, and can articulate benefits/risks of various technology solutions.
- Exercises judgment and influence on key technical decisions (for example, standards and policies, environment selection, technical solutions).
Role Responsibilities :
- Manages a team of design engineers to implement critical Capital projects to meet the needs of Operations and technical support teams. Leads teams that perform full project lifecycle management of hardware and cross-disciplinary projects, from customer discovery through systems design, build, commissioning and acceptance testing.
- Manages relationships with third party contractors and systems integrators, performing physical installations in broadcast origination technical centers and traditional IT data centers.
- Aligns with VP Engineering on key business and technical requirements, standards, and methodologies.
- Embodies and exemplifies the key values of Ownership/Accountability, Transparency, Communication and Customer Service, and develops these values within the team
- Transforms Viacom strategies into plans and goals for the Engineering team for the next 18 to 24 months.
- Mobilizes and facilitates team goal-setting. Establishing the specific plans, projects and objectives needed to accomplish these goals and ensuring their attainment.
- Proactively mentors and trains direct reports, to continually improve services and support to Viacom.
- Participates in budget planning for their area and accountable for managing to established budgets, including reallocating funding as priorities shift.
- Responsible for all performance-related activities of direct reports, including preparing and delivering performance reviews and any disciplinary recommendations.
- Partners with and integrates across other areas of Viacom Media Technology Services, working with other areas, resolving conflicts and managing competing priorities, to provide a complete solution.
Business Knowledge :
- Possesses solid understanding of the business customers including their business objectives, functional processes and organizational dynamics.
- Maintains a general awareness of the competitive landscape.
- Maintains an awareness of best practices in the technology industry and implements forward-looking best of breed solutions.
- Possesses knowledge about the business of Viacom, including the key work processes and success factors of different units and functions.
Typical Challenges Addressed :
- Creatively develops and sets tactical direction for the engineering team.
- Develops organization and resource strategies for project initiatives.
- Thoughtfully resolves client issues, including competing demands, sensitive situations, and conflicts with other groups.
- Continually improves work procedures and processes for area managed.
- Leads or ensure the success of the implementation of technology solutions to meet multiple clients' requirements.
Communication/ Contacts :
- Interacts regularly with business partners to provide technology solutions; develops strong relationships with business partners and staff to develop solutions collaboratively.
- Balances and negotiates the needs of multiple users and communicates the business advantages of various technical solutions.
- Forms productive networks with internal and external business partners.
- Seen by business partners and MTS colleagues as a key resource to escalate problems and to receive guidance and complete solutions.
- Communicates clearly and precisely with all levels of the company.
Project Role :
- Manages multiple Media Engineering projects either directly or through team members. This typically includes:
- Ensuring that projects are on time, on budget and meet the needs of the business.
- Developing or ensuring the development of accurate and thorough budget forecasts at the project and departmental levels.
- Establishing plans that prioritize initiatives, based on an understanding of the needs of the business.
- Ensuring resources and organization structure are in place and operating effectively.
- Anticipating conflicting needs, including interdependencies with other initiatives, and proactively resolving them.
- Integrating resources effectively, including resources under direct control, or by way of contractors and vendors.
Decision Making :
- Works autonomously to implement and achieve objectives for their unit(s), seeking guidance to ensure alignment with global strategies and organizational objectives.
- Proactively develops the talent in their area, co-constructing performance goals, objectives and development plans; and providing ongoing constructive performance feedback.
- Delegates work and monitors work quality for particularly complex or sensitive tasks.
- Can make hire/fire recommendations and decisions, within company policies. Implements performance improvement plans and any necessary corrective actions.