The Viacom Media Networks Music & Entertainment Group primarily consists of the MTV, VH1, Comedy Central and Spike cable networks, as well as various related digital properties and websites. MTV, VH1, Comedy Central and Spike are among the most iconic and engaging brands in the television industry and house a portfolio of popular programs ranging from Teen Wolf and the VMAs on MTV, Bar Rescue and Ink Master on Spike, Love & Hip Hop on VH1 to South Park and Inside Amy Schumer on Comedy Central.
Attorney-level position in the VMN Music & Entertainment Group’s East Coast Business and Legal Affairs department to provide day-to-day business and legal services for Comedy Central-branded joint promotions with advertisers and sponsors, integrated marketing productions, interstitial programming, live events and on-air series promotional announcements.
Primary duties will include:
* structuring, drafting and negotiating sponsor and production agreements (e.g., joint promotion agreements, producer, writer, production services, and talent agreements, venue and location releases, etc.)
* performing and/or supervising day-to-day legal production work for one-offs and series, and advising and consulting with clients and outside sponsors and production companies regarding production-related legal matters (including guild, union and other employment law issues)
* reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management
* participating in and contributing to strategic deal discussions and researching relevant business and legal issues
* providing complex risk assessment for production-related matters
* advising and communicating with various other departments within Viacom Media Networks
* counseling the client groups on a wide variety of other legal matters, including guild/union and labor issues, intellectual property rights, insurance, product integrations, online and music issues.
* Membership of the New York and/or California Bar(s) with 3-5 years of relevant experience (ideally with a minimum of 3 years of business/legal affairs experience in a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company environment).
* Must have comprehensive working knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA), contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry) is required, along with demonstrated capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning.
* Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills are also a must.
* Strong ability to analyze fact patterns and devise creative solutions that allow network executives to execute their creative vision in compliance with corporate policies and guidelines while minimizing overall legal and business risk.
* Must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, operate independently with minimal supervision and work long hours as necessary.
* Should be well-versed in entertainment industry customs and practices and possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
*The business and legal affairs department works as a team in a highly collaborative manner. The ideal candidate will have a cooperative, positive, team-oriented spirit.