The Senior Counsel will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services in connection with licensing, marketing, promotions and other matters for the Nickelodeon Consumer Products Group. This person will drive and close a variety of transactions, including a heavy volume of intellectual property licenses of Nickelodeon characters and brands for use across a broad spectrum of consumer products; collaborations with well-known designers and specialty brands; and partnerships with retailers. The Senior Counsel will also advise on a wide variety of day-to-day legal and business issues for the business group and may supervise one or more legal team members. In addition, the position may be asked to support related businesses, include but not limited to Nickelodeon’s Recreation team. The Senior Counsel reports to the Vice-President, Business and Legal Affairs.
- Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, intellectual property license agreements for the consumer products business in a wide array of categories, including toys, apparel, publishing, and consumer packaged goods.
- Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, agreements related to the marketing and promotion of Nickelodeon’s brands, as well as a variety of ancillary agreements
- Monitor and research changes to state and federal laws governing the consumer products business and ensure that departmental templates are updated accordingly.
- Create original legal forms for non-standard agreements.
- Provide practical, strategic advice and legal counsel to business clients regarding risk management and legal implications of proposed business opportunities and actions.
- Cultivate and maintain channels of communication with key VMN Legal and Business Affairs personnel in technical areas, including rights and clearances, music strategy, risk management, trademarks, unions and guilds, bankruptcy and litigation.
- Support the VP in tracking, managing and reporting on CP deal flow and status.
- Experience drafting and negotiating intellectual property license agreements, ideally in the consumer products industry, and managing complicated exclusive rights arrangements.
- Coordinate with internal business teams (e.g., CP account executives, finance and operations teams) to determine business priorities and deal points.